Sunday, January 16, 2011

Obsidian Dream Suite Opus #9

oh, to return to the dreams of youth
terabithia, i wish it was real
this adventure has become far to true

i rode into the darkness
the vast fields of night
trying to unleash the demons
that creep in the shadows
of my own unmanned fortress
too many fragile notions
scattered about the towers
and silent burial chambers
great intentions of madness
launched on uncharted oceans

to my family i'm a stranger
a story told at bedtime
to myself i'm a danger
a martyr for a selfish time

out of control and alone
i've faced the fires of hell
tended my bleeding wounds
pushing myself past the brink
and now i long for home
a chance to sit in quiet peace
at a table set with grace
smiling children and love
cold brew for my body
my guitar for my release

saint
sinner
and all the things between
i've gambled with my life and my soul
just to find the meaning of this disease
please, don't let me fall asleep, please
i'm not finished with this dream
(dream)
(dream)
(dream)

it was morning
you were sleeping
in the room of golden promise
keep me here
desire

as the lights burn out
i listen for your voice in the wind
at my lonely candle
i'm wondering
if the measure of a man is all he achieves on this earth then i will no doubt
come up short when the final tally is taken
fear

and so now this time comes
just like that
my mind is clear
i was thinking of you
smooth like water
a new fascination comes over me
truth=love
soft

when this rumble inside my chest stops
learn to amplify
take

in a darkened room
swept into the vortex
i see the eye of doubt
the mirror lies to protect you
no poems tonight
struggle

amputated feelings bringing
sleep deprived visions
in another scene of creeping mediocrity
hidden in the shadows
she is purple fire
she tells me
to see beyond what my closed eyes see
faces

this is where i run to
in the center
in the cobweb lined corridor that leads to all my past
sadness comes to me now
i'm dying in this world
everyday

if i were a child
walking
in the dream of living
no
when does son become father?
here in the queue
caught between him and destiny
forever

shadows in the distance
walk through the door
mystic apparitions fly above
we were so very far away from the sound we came to play, the idea had escaped us along the way
i had a dream
it was cold oppression
and it smelled like something unnatural
something that would never forgive me
for breaking the oath
poet down

do you know what it's like to watch a man bleed to death?

freedom
freedom comes with the dawn
tomorrow hasn't happened
today has just begun

black

1 comment:

  1. Written in 2006.
    I was playing cut up and worked several opening lines into creating this piece.
    The title is my homage to one of my favorite guitar players.

    ReplyDelete

Anna, She Drives the Big Van While I Smile and Wave at the Creatures Along the Highway

  these broken boxes of dreams scattered about the lime green waters sleeping in icy caverns beneath the surface of moons i long ago forgot ...