Thursday, January 20, 2011

Green Grass Forever

honor dipped memories
in shallow graves
of uncertain soldiers
hold my quivering hand
until i have slept this feeling away

dad, is that you?
trying to tell me something
shall i lay down next to you?
in green grass forever
closing in the distance
between two worlds
a son is never simply
one shade lighter
just perhaps another color
sprinkled in with a fathers dreams

and the cannons roar
mighty and with vengeance
lighting up this slow death of night
covering the ground in youth
and weeping mothers fears
of green grass forever

and still i wonder
how this happened
a cold hand gripping
my unadorned shoulder
"what have i become?"

1 comment:

  1. Written in 2004.
    I've been blasted more for this poem than any other. Yet, I've been praised very highly for it as well.
    Either way I still find it an odd piece and will forever be uncertain of it.

    ReplyDelete

Anna, She Drives the Big Van While I Smile and Wave at the Creatures Along the Highway

  these broken boxes of dreams scattered about the lime green waters sleeping in icy caverns beneath the surface of moons i long ago forgot ...