Thursday, November 28, 2013

I Found Religion On The Highyway

someone once told me centipedes were venomous
kinda like that duck that attacked me
i don't know
but the centipede
that's crawling around my desk
is really starting to frighten me
oh no!
lost track of him
well if you hear me scream
you'll know why

i have exactly 28 minutes
27
26.......................

drive to the wilderness
set up camp
lay the tarp down
and don't get damp
start the fire
cook the dogs
open a bottle
of whiskey
and toast good times
pass out in the tent
and greet the sunrise
ever get lucky on a picnic table?

truck stop
turns
and fishnet
burns
all along the highway
we fumble with
strange desire
and hope no one is watching
when we
look for something higher

truck stop
turns
and fishnet
burns
this love affair with our cars
bucket seats
can be most helpful
if you don't mind
going there alone
but backseat lovers
are something we uncover
in the cool october night

i was driving home from (insert city here)
when i passed him on the road
i thought what the hell
and i offered him a ride
he thanked me and asked
if i could drive till sun up
i said why not

the hours past and using heavy words
he told me his story
and i wept without a sound

just when i thought he would
give me all the answers
to this life and the next
the sun came streaming in
and shattered my hope
in ever knowing why

i woke up in my drive-way
blurry and uncertain
i found religion on the highway
and he was nice enough to bring me home

i know what you are thinking
i found some inner peace
you're wondering if i found god

religion was a stray dog
he died yesterday

truck stop
turns
fishnet
burns
we love the open road
all the things we see
and all the things we find
come to make us who we are
riding down the freeway
just a weary traveler
in love with our car
3
2
1
go

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anna, She Drives the Big Van While I Smile and Wave at the Creatures Along the Highway

  these broken boxes of dreams scattered about the lime green waters sleeping in icy caverns beneath the surface of moons i long ago forgot ...